Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Strugglin'

As a writer, I've had many an encounter with writer's block. It's always inconvenient and hefty, but once you find a tool big enough to crack it wide open, words normally come flowing out, projectile vomit style.

There's another obstacle that I find far tougher to overcome and it shows up much more frequently at my doorstep than ol' blocky block: me.

It's not that I don't have story ideas. It's not that I don't have time. It's that I don't have organization, and most importantly, motivation. Well, at least not at the right times.

Let me illustrate. It's nearing 10 p.m. on a week night, which means I should be asleep or at least thinking about it. To make matters worse, I'm sick and know that the tried and true method of extra rest would really rock my socks off. I'm also listening to my splendid boyfriend snore the most relaxing sounding snores in the history of man. My eyes are dry with exhaustion. OF COURSE THIS IS THE BEST TIME TO WRITE!!!!!!!!!

This is how the connections in my brain work when it comes to writing. I don't know if this plagues my old App pals, too, or if this is just an example of the shitty work ethic I've somehow acquired in the last couple of years. Either way, I'm tired of getting in my own way. The only problem is, well, me.

I know, right? What is all this Inception-esque shit I'm throwing at you? How can the problem AND the solution be me? That's how it is when your creative shit flows from the same place your procrastination tactics do.

Even now, I'm having a hard time forcing myself to write even though writing's what I love and know. I have checked Facebook at least 5 times for no reason. I am forcing myself not to look up at the TV and watch "The Mummy," a film I have already seen at least 405 times due to an inappropriate crush on Brendan Fraser when I was a young girl. I have already caught myself looking at jobs, while productive, is something I should give full dedication to after I've finished what I've started. Self sabotage at it's finest.

It's time to turn off my metaphorical (and actual) TV and get back to my homework. It's time to crack my own whip and get my ass into shape. Here's the plan for the initial two week period, aka long enough to break my seriously horrid habits:

1. Write for an hour every day, even if it is an exercise out of my old creative writing books.
2. While doing so, turn off the TV, don't touch Chrome, and back away from the cleaning supplies. This is just me, the keyboard, and maybe some music.
3. Dedicate at least half of that writing time to this blog.

Alright, folks. A real gonna plan, laid out here for you to follow and help me conquer. If you don't, there's a good chance I'll develop a stutter. P-p-pleeeaaasee don't do this to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment