Monday, December 17, 2012

Success


Thinking about success is what really sparred this entire project. While driving through our quaint little neighborhood, I pointed out my favorite house to my roommate. I talked about how though it wasn't much, and though I'd prefer a huge plot of land around it, it was enough. It was perfect to me. It was all I needed.

In a culture where big houses often equal success, what am I to make of my dream of a modest, yet absolutely adorable home? I never really thought about the fact that there is a societal definition of success my definition absolutely doesn't coincide with.

That's because to America, success is money, work 'til you die, bigger-is-better for things, smaller-is-beautiful for bodies, and fame is the ultimate goal. Hey, I'll stop being polite and start getting real: all of these things have appealed to me. I'm a human, and I live in the U.S. of A. But as I've grown and changed and become the person I've learned to find is myself, I have also discovered that American success ain't really my bag.

Success to me is:

Being with the people I care about. I used to think there was something wrong with me because I chose real life over my career, and like WHO DOES THAT?!?! But a successful life in my book means building my home life first, career life second, and no amount of bullshit culture pressure can make me doubtful.

A modest home on a big plot of land with animals, gardens, and the person I love. Forget cars, mansions, yachts, and private jets.

Working a job I love. My ideal job means being able to write and use all my other passions in creativity, having independence, using my hands, being surrounded by compassion, and making a difference for someone else. That means salary is secondary, and I only need just enough.

Overcoming fears that block me from doing the billions of things I long to do.

+++++

Really, that's all success is to me. Anything you could possibly ask me about success ("What about starting a family? Your TV pilot? SKYDIVING WITHOUT DYING?!") will ultimately be covered in the four clauses above.

Success to me is... simple.

3 comments:

  1. Success to me is having enough money to not worry about paying rent or having enough food to eat. It is living to be old because I haven't committed suicide. It is being happy and faithful in my chosen relationship. It is doing good when I see an opportunity for it and avoiding bad when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of this song:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzDaUrOf7WQ

    I want flatlands
    I never cared about money and all its friends
    I want flatlands
    I want flatlands
    I don't want precious stones
    I never cared about anything you've ever owned
    I want flatlands
    I want simplicity
    I need your arms wrapped hard around me
    I want open plains and scattered trees
    I want flower fields
    I want salty seas
    I want flatlands soft and steady breeze
    bringing scents of lined-up orchard trees
    dripping heavy with pears and dancing leaves
    I want flatlands
    will you go there with me
    when it's said in the dark and you know it's always there
    when it's dead in our heart but your mind is unafraid
    when it's said in the dark and you know it's never coming back
    when it's there in your heart in your mind you set it free

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post... Thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete