Thursday, December 13, 2012

Word-A-Post Project


As I was driving down the road yesterday, I was thinking about how sometimes maybe it's hard to find satisfaction because we don't all define even the simplest words the same way. Success to me may mean something entirely different to you. If I don't meet your expectations and you don't meet mine, maybe it's just because we've all failed to communicate.

It's no one's fault really. I mean, when's the last time you even thought about what loyalty meant to you? Not what it means to Webster, Oxford, or your friends, but what it really means to you. We don't tell each other what we need from one another because we don't even know ourselves. And if we did, we could make it be known; by shouting it, by whispering it, by simply speaking it.

I've always had a pretty solid definition of my own interpretations of important terms inside my own head, but I think this is always what I meant by making the internal external. I never understood it until now, even though I put it on a list of my fears to overcome, at least not well enough. At least not how hard it must be to define these things and how it might be even harder to share them with our connections.

So every day until Christmas, I'm going to write about words and what they mean to me. Some of them are basic but huge concepts to humanity, while others may be menial terms triggered by a run-in at the grocery store or the coffee shop. Whatever the case may be, I couldn't be more excited (or scared) to bleed on the digital page, letting everyone know exactly what this or that means to me.

If you want to join me, tag your entries with "word-a-post!"

No comments:

Post a Comment